Tuesday, September 29, 2009

HAITI

Sometimes, writing this book, the Blackwell Book, as I casually refer to it, still feels like an over whelming task, and I know I am only at the "tip of the iceburg" of this process. Then I recount what already has been done since this commitment became very real in mid July of this year. I remind myself that any worthwhile big project has to be broken into smaller parts. With the exception of about three days out of the past near one hundred days, I have done some task every day connected to this book. And I remember to visualize the end at the beginning.

With these thoughts in mind, I happily report that the process and the progress on the book about Ellsworth and Ruth Blackwell are going very well.

Since the last blog post, plans are coming together for a trip to Haiti - eight days over Thanksgiving. In part, this is getting arranged with my travel companion (YES, she is going with me!) Gabs, formerly of Haiti, now living in Hemingway, SC. The office of International Pioneering at the Baha'i Natinal Center in Wilmette, IL, shared its best wishes, wrote a formal introduction of us to the National Spiritual Assembly of Haiti, and even sent a few researched items to me. For me, this trip is possible through generous financial assistance from my family and a few friends, as a birthday gift to me, instead of any other gift, cards, flowers, cake, etc.

Last week, a friend visited me for five days. We taught together on the Navajo Reservation at the Chinle High School from 1994-1997. We had a lot of fun in this long overdue visit. While here, of course Linda heard about the book and was aware of my many hours on it while she was here. She, too, put in several hours - hours of reading rough drafts of a few small sections. Thank you, Linda, for your encouragement and suggestions.

I'm still transcribing stories from Ruth recorded for me in 1984 when we visited in Wilmette. I continue to feel her presence in my living room as I hear her voice, her laugh, her expressions reflecting strict adherence to Baha'i administration, and her deep respect and love for her then departed husband, Ellsworth.

I was in touch with the Baha'i Publishing Trust and received positive encouragement about the worth of this project and its interest in a book about the Blackwells. In addition, new friends have connected me to former co-workers of Ellsworth and Ruth. Their lives affected the lives of so many! I hope to make a trip in the spring to do more research in the Archives at the National Baha'i Center, adding to materials collected in 1984.

I am filled with gratitude at being able to do this wonderful work - generated in me mostly out of love for the Blackwells and for the Baha'i Cause they served so well.
Thanks for reading my blog.

2 comments:

Patty said...

you've shown great committment and persistance, Mom, in working on the book every day!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Ellsworth and Ruth would be pleased. : )
-Linda