Monday, April 21, 2008

White Man's Kachinas


This is not the best photo I have of these, but this one is available now, of the electric towers that dot the landscape all over out here. Many Navajos live without electricity which is so expensive to hook up because homes are often spread far apart, maybe miles. When my sisters and Mom and I first traveled around this area after I started work in 1990 at what was then Navajo Community College, one sister decided these look like whiteman's kachinas. If you are unfamiliar with the term, mostly from Hopi and Zuni cultures, you'll get a wonderful list of links if you google it. At any rate, the reason this term came up again this spring is that when I was driving with a Navajo friend, we passed these towers that are in this photo. I shared our family comment, and she responded, "Oh, yes. Whiteman kachinas.......headless!"

No comments: