Sunday, February 17, 2008

The best Earl's story yet!



Yesterday more snow had melted. Main roads were clear by early morning. Alberta John, friend and co-worker from 1990's at the college, and I went to Gallup. I pulled off the road to take photos of the early morning sun coming up behind the pine trees between Tsaile and Wheatfields. Golly, it was so pretty, as there was a lot of frost on the trees after early morning fog.
Being in Gallup, of course we ate at Earl's. The last couple times there, I didn't buy anything from the jewelers and other artists who come around to the tables. Yesterday, however, I wanted to get a couple things for gifts and for me. I spent a lot of time picking out a hair pin, figuring soon my hair will be long enough to pin back, and I bought a really pretty one. Designed and made by Ilene Parkett of St Michaels, AZ, it's silver, like a large bobbypin with a piece of turquoise at the closed end. I carefully wrapped it in part of a paper napkin, but before putting it into my purse, I was busy looking at the next person's jewelry. Naturally, the sellers are aware when a purchase is made, so there is more attention given to that table. We had a delicious meal, and after we were outside looking still at the vendors' tables, I realized I'd left the hair pin on the table. Darn! So Bertie and I went back inside, and I told the waitress, who asked us to talk to another person, and then we were asked to talk to Steven Richards, Pres./manager, who was busy determining how many were in each party in the long line of customers waiting to be seated. (It's mid day Saturday at Earl's!) Mr. Richards treated me like there were no other customers. He asked around to staff, "Has anyone seen a hairpin left at that table?" He already had found out where we'd been sitting. Then, dismissing my request to please not go to all that trouble, he told us to wait, and he went back to the kitchen. In a few minutes, he came back, saying he was unsuccessful, even though he'd put his hands into all the stuff cleared from recent tables! He gave me his card and told me to call in an hour. Annoyed at my carelessness, and I really liked that piece, I remembered to call when Bertie and I were on the other side of Gallup, just about ready to leave town. It took two tries to get through, but Steve was given the phone, and right away, he said, "I've got it!" Apparently, it was put with silverware to be rinsed before being washed, and someone saw it. The "all alert" had been spread enough that I guess the whole staff in the back was on the lookout for this silver hair pin. Bertie and I went back and retrieved it, by now in an envelope at the front register. I thanked Mr. Richards and told him I'd thank him publicly on my blog. We've all always had such positive thoughts about Earl's Family Restaurant in Gallup, and this experience just pushes those thoughts up a few notches for sure! THANK YOU EARL'S AND ESPECIALLY THANK YOU, STEVEN RICHARDS, FOR YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE WAY BEYOND THE ORDINARY!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
So glad they found your pin. Amazing too. Am enjoying your blog. Reading about the cradle board, of course it looks like our "swaddling" BUT what if her/his nose itches??

Be safe, have fun.

Lois THompson/Wilmington