Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hoop Dance Contest at Heard Museum




The outdoor stadium was full on Saturday when Pat and Dick and I went to a few hours to the World Championship Hoop Dance Contest at the Heard Museum, Phoenix, Saturday, Feb. 9. Over 60 contestants from different tribes in the USA and Canada were divided into five different age divisions. We watched just a small number of the dancers, but thoroughly enjoyed the event.
I was especially attracted to the Tiny Tots and spoke with the mom of two year old Kai Win Clements from Warm Springs tribe in Warm Springs, OR. The little dancer was often on the grass behind spectators practicing with his hoops. The mom graciously gave permission for me to post a couple photos of her son for you to enjoy, too. She told me before we came he won $25 and stuffed animals.
The fry bread line was too long, but Pat and Dick and I enjoyed the best ever grilled cheeseburgers that we're hoping will be as good at the Heard Museum Indian Fair & Market the first weekend of March.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom, I'm sure the littlest ones were very fun to watch! His small hoops look like what I need for inside Addie's tea pot and the 7 tea cup costumes I have to be making. A friend had suggested I use hula hoops to keep the foam cosutmes rounded out, but I never saw any little hula hoops around here, so we're doing without.