Friday, November 14, 2008

Leave Tsaile again and fly from Albuquerque to Houston
























Now when I say "good-bye" to friends on the Navajo Reservation, it no longer seems sad. Time goes by so fast, and pretty soon, it's time to plan another visit. This is one of the bounties that increases with age. I don't know when I'm going back, but I "trust the process" that it won't be long.
My son picked me up on Oct 23, at the Houston airport for my expected eleven day visit, and we began the twenty minute drive home to Kingwood. Before we even got to his house, he said, "You know, Mom, it would really help us out if you'd stay another week and a half. We're leaving on a business trip just a few days after your intended departure, and if you'd stay, you could take care of the boys." Well, within about another half hour, back at the house, we talked to family in NC, I knew there were no appointments or commitments that could not be changed, and my son had made new flight arrangements.
When I leave tomorrow, it's after twenty-two days here in Kingwood. It's been a good visit. This is a busy household. With the parents in their own business, there are apt to be activities, sometimes planned and sometimes spur of the moment almost any time. I've met some of their friends and some of their business associates, and with all the intercultural associations, it's really interesting. My daughter-in-law holds meetings in Spanish with many Latinos from the Houston area. My son does a lot of phone counseling and sometimes holds online chats with people, mainly in Mexico.
Hall-o-ween included a couple carved pumpkins, light sticks for all the trick-or-treaters, and fog at the front door.
We went to a "Dance with Parents" P.E. activity at the elementary school. Also my daughter-in-law and I went to a parent conference. I helped with seven year old's homework. I can almost keep up with his math, and I like math! I'm still a better reader than he, though not much. I bought a new book for his 20 minutes/day reading homework. The book is on middle school level, I think. I cannot believe his word approach to figuring out new words. His mom and I helped with a mock election held on November 4th. My job was to check the children's voter registration forms. What good practice for future voters. It was well organized, quite realistic, and the kids were appropriately excited and nervous and respectful.
The most sentimental comment from my son was his assurance that, regardless of whatever personal situation I have in my own home, there are so many family members in North Carolina who love having me close, and "You always have a place with us here in Kingwood anytime." I cried a little when I shared that comment of his with my daughter-in-law, and it could lead to a tear as I write his words here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good picturs. Looks like halloween was a lot of fun.
Joe