Sunday, March 16, 2008

ASU trip to southwest


That's Appalachian State University, Boone, NC, not ArizStateU. Pete Reichle, professor at ASU, brought students again, on the annual trip he has done most years since 1988. It was great to visit with him and meet this year's group. I was able to see them twice, before and after their hike into Canyon de Chelly. It was this same trip, 19 years ago, that I came on and had my first experiences on the Navajo Reservation. At that time, there were two main activities that continue to seem like the most influential on me during that life-changing ten days. The first was being with Annie Kahn, as I think I mentioned a week ago in a post. I was lucky to be at her presentation again last Monday. As often seems to be the case, there was confusion about where we could meet, mis-communication between folks. But, as always, we ended up in the best place, on the grass in a circle, near the meeting place that had been pre-arranged where now there was another meeting in progress.

Annie said everyone of us is born sacred with that first breath. Each of us is unique, with a certain identity and purpose. None of us is an accident. The earth can teach you everything. She then shared some of the traditional Navajo teachings that have become so familiar to me over the past twenty years. She challenged the young people, telling them their life is so easy, and that they have more freedom than folks in the past, more opportunities to do important things. She invited the students to share and answer what they could do that can make a difference. "How do you make your own notches?" she asked. The answers focused on learning and giving to others. Before starting a continuous line around the circle so that everyone got to greet and hug everyone else, she reminded us, "Today is no accident. This is a beautiful day. We have time to sit together, to share, to be friends, to be brother and sister."
Ahe'hee (thank you) Annie Kahn

2 comments:

* said...

Hi, Im really new to this blog thing but being curious, I've been browsing blogs and I came across yours. I hope I don't sound silly but I was just reading through some of your entries and I just wanted to say I think your an extrodinary woman. I suppose I just wanted to let you know and if you wanted, you could get in touch. Thank you for your inspiration.

Audrey Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.