Sunday, March 16, 2008

Yesterday with the sheep






New friend, Sue, by her own definition, a traditional Navajo woman, invited me to come to her home. We decided last week, I should do this yesterday, so I'll know where she lives and can pick her up sometimes for Baha'i events. Again, early yesterday morning, I drove to Lukachukai and a little beyond toward Round Rock. I got lost just once because I took a turn about a quarter of a mile too soon off Hwy 12. However, now I know for next time.

As planned, I got to Sue's home before 9:00 am so I'd be there as she was letting out the neighbor's sheep. This is a neighbor who Sue is helping. She said she partly is volunteering to be an example of a helpful Baha'i. Her own sheep just go out to graze and come back on their own. However, Sue is training this new flock that had not been given the opportunity in recent months to get out of the corale. If folks can get hay, sometimes they don't bother or are not able to get out with the sheep. Sue says it's so much healthier for the animals if they are out. What a beautiful area she and the animals have in which to walk.

I'm going to post a few photos of this area where I walked, always behind Sue who, about my age, I think, is in much better shape from the hours of walking she does every day. A couple photos just show the area. One, however, shows the sheep way ahead of me, just dots way out there, and then another of the two sheep who I herded to hurry up and join the rest. They did.

The first photo here is of a baby lamb who stayed behind with others. Sue says to leave some of the young ones behind is a help in assuring that those who are way out will return home (As I type that, I'm thinking of my returning home to NC...no matter how far out I go to "graze.".... I'll leave here in about 7 - 8 weeks to start my drive back to NC. Lots of grazing yet to do out here! )

Thank you again, Sue, for being my teacher yesterday.

No comments: