Friday, March 21, 2008

Naw-Ruz and other notes

I just got closed out of the college library, forgot it closes at 4pm on Fridays. I figured, too, it might be open straight through this afternoon since there is a potluck-get together there tonight to welcome spring. Now, I'm in the student union bldg with just a couple students in view. I wonder who's around to come to the library event tonight that I expect to attend.
Anyway, Happy Naw-Ruz, the first day of the Baha'i new year, that happens on the first day of spring. I've always thought that is so cool. March 20 also marks the end of The Fast. After eating a whole bunch last night at a party in Chinle and then breakfast this morning and then lunch.......I'm already feeling more full than I did for the past 19 days.
I took today off from work. I was caught up and asked for the day since it is a Baha'i Holy Day and we are not supposed to work if possible. I went to Lukachukai this morning for a study circle and that was a good way to start a Holy Day with no work.
It is beginning to feel like spring. It's still cold at night, and the house today was left a little cooler than I like, but I'll go build a fire before coming back to campus for the library event at 6:30. Louoise's house will stay warm while I'm out for a couple hours. Louise expected to go see her mom at Wheatfields Lake, about a half hour south toward Window Rock from Tsaile late this afternoon.
Tomorrow, weather permitting, Louise will do some yard work at her home. I'll help, and then we want to go to Farmington, NM, across the Chuska Mountains on that beautiful mountain pass road that's been closed all winter. We hear now it's all clear, no snow or ice on the road. There's a Mexican Restaurant we like in Farmington where we went met last summer a couple times. Shiprock, where I was last summer, is on the other side of the mountains from here, between here and Farmington.
I just learned something about setting the date for Easter. It's unusual to have it fall so early and within a couple days of Naw-Ruz. Here's why Easter Sunday is March 23 this year. Easter is always on the first Sunday after the first full moon (tonight) after the spring equinox (March 20 or 21.) Now we'll know.

I've looked ahead at the April calendar. It's quite busy with, largely with events connected to the 40th anniversary of Dine College which started as Navajo Community College in 1968. I figured out I'm just past the half way point in the time I'll be away from North Carolina. I'm glad April is busy, both with my work and the extra activities scheduled for weekends, because as I get closer to the time I'm going to start my drive back to North Carolina, I'll be missing family and my home even more than the time so far since I left in January.

Thanks for checking my blog.

Good thing I'm done. This room will close in ten minutes. Tsaile is kind of a quiet place to be. Then again, there's that big happening at the Library in a couple hours.

No comments: