Sunday, March 16, 2008

Bigger catch up - not so quick


There have been experiences and photos I want to share over the past couple of weeks. It's Sunday morning, and I'm at the Navajo Nation Quality Inn in Window Rock, AZ. I have access to the internet and some time before I leave for a birthday party in St. Michaels for Pearl's mom. The blog entries I post this morning before I leave will not be chronological, but an assortment of "stuff to share."

The photo here was taken a half hour ago, by me of me, in the mirror. Those of you who know me will appreciate the phrase on the shirt. Sorry, the writing is backwards. There's probably a way to reverse the photo online, but I don't know how to do that. The shirt was purchased last week at T&R Market in Gallup, newly renovated and updated, and now it's a really cool grocery store. Although I am so connected emotionally and spiritually to a lot of the teachings and values here on the Navajo Reservation, there's an ongoing joke about me and mutton(sheep for eating.) It's a real treat for most Navajos and one of those "back home items" that Navajos crave if they live off the rez. To me, it's not like lamb; it has a stronger flavor, and I've never gotten used to the taste. At some time in the future even if I wanted to eat it, I might not. That would ruin the jokes that have been said about me for almost 20 years: "Doesn't like mutton? What kind of a woman is she?"

I expect the shirt will provide some laughs today at the gathering of Pearl's family.

No comments: