Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Memphis tonight

Well, I'm definitely further west, toward my destination, but I have two amusing stories about today's travel.
For all of you who know me well, this won't come as a surprise. Two experiences today show that my expectations and positive visualizing are not always supported by reality.
First, in planning not to drive more than 350 or 400 miles maximum each day, I figured I'd have time out of the car, seeing some new sight, a museum or tourist attraction, or at least a walk in a mall. So far none of that is happening. Today's biggest stop was for over a half hour when I pulled off on an exit with only one gas station (but a nice clean new one.) I parked next to the building on a quiet section of the pavement, lowered the car window (just a little chilly), opened my cooler, and leisurely ate left over salad from last night and cheese brought from home. Went into the station and bought a peanut butter brownie for dessert.
Until I'm into it again each time, I forget that when I'm on a long distance drive like this, esp alone, pretty much the only activity there's energy for is to drive and rest and drive and rest. And I do have a long stretch this evening and overnight for rest.
Second, and this is even funnier to me......I planned tonight's stop in Memphis, and looking at the map, it looked like the motel would be just a couple blocks from the Mississippi River. Wow! Here's the reality: the window in my room looks out onto a truck parking lot in an industrial section right near the airport. I was thinking of a view of the Mississippi like in a travel brochure advertising old paddle wheel boats or something like the walk along the Wilmington, NC, water area. I guess that's what I was visualizing because the reality really surprised me. When I checked in, I saw none and asked if there is a restaurant nearby. I was told that a few restaurants deliver and was given brochures. (I thought that's what you're told in a motel that's in a high crime area.) Anyway, the room is fine, and I enjoyed the chinese food I ordered. Wireless internet connection works great. I'm listening to wonderful old jazz.....love your music, Daddy. And I think I'll read for a while in the comfortable chair with my feet up on the attached ottoman, the same spot as my sweet computer station.
It was cloudy all day, damp but no rain. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and very cold.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom,
It was good to talk to you on the phone today. Sorry you don't have a view of the Misssissippi like you imagined, but I'm really glad you didn't venture out trying to find it!
Drive safely
Patty

Anonymous said...

You were looking for a view of the Mississippi? In Memphis the place to see is Graceland... Drive safe my friend Peggy

Audrey Mike said...

Pearl and I stopped two days at Memphis on our Aug 2007 drive from NM to NC. She wanted to see Graceland, but it was the 30th (35th) anniversary of his death (huge crowds) and it was over 100 degrees. We spent the couple days in airconditioned shops or in the motel room watching festivities on tv. We never did get in line to tour Graceland, though Pearl had done that some years ago. I got a good tour from Priscilla on local tv one night of our stay.
As said, yesterday was a charming visit to the Mississippi River.